Friday, May 8, 2015

Perspective Matters

Today was a great day. It started in another culture lecture, which was about religion... so it was not my favorite lecture. We had language class too, where we learned numbers as well as the art of bartering. We had to have a quick lunch, because we had a meeting at the US Consulate promptly at 1 pm.

Getting in was a bit of a process, lots of security. Also, only US citizens could go in... so it was the first time on the trip where no Vietnamese were with us. We met in a meeting room and discussed what the Consulate does in Vietnam with some diplomats. One of the main things is the processing of visa requests to the United States. Additionally, they serve as the body that will aid US citizens who are in trouble in Vietnam.

One of the subdivisions is dedicated to linking Vietnamese people with American people in order to better the relationship between the two countries. This is ironic though, because the Vietnamese people are some of the most enthusiastic people about America that I've ever seen. The people at the Consulate agreed. The linking of the people is important to the relationship of the countries because that is the basis of a strong relationship... a strong relationship between the people.

The next part of the day was the best part of our time here in Vietnam thus far. We met with students at the American Center, a place for Vietnamese students at nearby universities can come and essentially relax, hang out, and study with other students. We walked into a huge room, which was eventually filled with eager Vietnamese students. We split up into groups, so that we were able to talk to them about college (also, just life in general) in America and Vietnam. Because there were so many Vietnamese students there, we had to split up into 1 on 7 scenarios.

At first, it was a little awkward... but when we all got talking, it was so much fun. We talked about everything: what we were studying, where we grew up, what kind of movies we watched, what music we listened to, our favorite Vietnamese foods and restaurants, American culture VS Vietnamese culture, and many more things. We spent over an hour talking, but it really only felt like 10 minutes. I had learned so much in that time, that I will spend days compressing everything that I picked up in the conversations. Another thing we did was they let me practice my Vietnamese with them. Unfortunately, I found themselves giggling constantly at my occasional mispronunciations... but it was all in good fun and I rolled with it. They liked to practice English with me too, because they never really get the chance to speak it with their friends and family.

I came to realize that these students are exactly like me. The things they listen to and watch are the same. The things they think about are the same. The things that they worry about are the same. The things that they want in their futures are things that I want in mine. The conversation was eyeopening to my continuously-expanding amount of appreciation for culture "differences."

Okay enough of all of that "deep" talk. One common thing to ask is how long these students have been speaking English. One of my friends said he has only been speaking for 3 years. I said I was surprised because of how well he spoke it. He then told me that he had taught himself all of it, all by watching videos on YouTube. When I heard this, my jaw dropped to the floor and I was speechless. After he looked at me like I was insane, I told him that his English was honestly 90% as good as mine (which was true), and I had been speaking it all my life. I still can't really believe that, it's just too amazing.

Anyway... Dan, Edziu, and I are going to grab dinner with one of our friends Bo. He said he'll take us to one of his favorite restaurants in Saigon, so we're all excited.




Did my laundry in the tub this morning. Very humbling experience.




Made some iced coffee at breakfast. Not as good as our favorite coffee shop's, but pretty alright nonetheless.





Outside the US Consulate. Dr. Berman is showing us the Vietnamese plaque (Circled), which commemorates the Viet Cong attack on the US Embassy. The United States has a plaque for their perspective inside the fence just opposite the Viet Cong plaque.



Group of Vietnamese students that we talked with.




Me and all of my friends that I was able to talk to personally. LĂȘ is on the far left... he is the one who taught himself English using YouTube.



No comments:

Post a Comment