Friday, May 15, 2015

The End

What a great trip it's been. I knew time would fly, but I was amazed at how fast two weeks can pass. Some of us were talking earlier, and we all agreed that (despite how blasted tired we all are), we would no doubt stay 2 more weeks if we had the option (....hint hint Dr Berman and Bryan).

This morning was the very hyped up basketball and soccer games against the UEF students. When we walked into the gym, it turned out we were actually playing UEF's basketball and soccer teams, and not our friends that we've come to know and love. It's okay though, because we had our friends to cheer us on. We lost basketball, but won soccer. That was actually the opposite of what we all expected. I think our problems with basketball came in the paint... we really didn't have a solid big man who wanted to play in the paint. Both games were so much fun, but I think I lost 5 pounds of sweat during them.

We then snagged a quick lunch and dessert at a nearby restaurant, and were done with our scheduled activities for the morning. When we got back to the hotel, we went for a little swim-swam... which was very refreshing. I also went to the Co-op with some others and grabbed some last minute plane food. Pringles, crackers, peanut butter, and gum.... should power me through the 16 hour flight coming up tomorrow.

Evan, Alex and I went to the market one last time to blow off some excess dong. I picked up a few more things, and then we had to come back to the hotel to change for our fancy night tonight. We're taking a formal group picture in our suits and the girls in their new Vietnamese dresses, and then we have a dinner cruise on the Saigon River. Most of our UEF friends will be there (hopefully), so I'm really excited but also pretty sad. We leave the hotel tonight at like 2:30 am, so I still haven't decided if I want to sleep a little or save that all for the plane. We'll have to wait and see.

Leaving Vietnam is very sad but - because of the things I've learned (about the country, as well as myself), experiences I've had, memories I've made, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the incredibly genuine and real people that I've met in this country - I really do believe that I will be back someday. This country has been awesome to us, and I couldn't think of anyone I would want to be with the 20 incredibly awesome people that came from Pitt with me (most of whom I had no idea who they were a month ago). Much thanks goes out to Mike Kijowski for all of his pre-departure work, as well as Bryan Schultz for being such awesome man to spend the trip with. Someday I hope I can rock the soul patch like he does.

The most thanks goes to Dr. David Berman for organizing the experience of a lifetime. I can tell that he truly pours his heart and soul into this trip, which is what gives it such deep meaning. All of his personal experiences with this country offer incredible insight to history and humanity. Although this trip will always be great (because Dr. Berman hand crafted it from scratch), I'm incredibly happy that he was with us on this trip... he really adds an overarching theme that ties together the whole program.

Goodbye Vietnam, Hen Gap Lai!



Saying goodbye to UEF!




Part of lunch today, some jelly type appetizer.




This is what you look like after 2 hours of sports in 95 degree weather with humidity.





Goodbye Ho Chi Minh City!




No comments:

Post a Comment